Full Life Yoga - Yoga to you, yoga for you!
RSS

Recent Posts

Aging Bodies Need Yoga Too! 9 Principles for Teaching Safe & Effective Classes
Ayurveda and Depression
Meditation, Mantras and Creating YOUR Life
Ego stuff.
Get it out! Get it out! Get it OUT!!!

Categories

Ayurveda and Depression
Creating YOUR Life!
Ego practice.
Gratitude Meditation
Grief
Jesus, Yoga and Peace
Mantra
Meditation
Preventive Health
Yamas and NiYamas; Ahimsa (non-harming)
Yoga for Boomers +
powered by

My Blog

The Grumpy Yogini.

We laugh at me sometimes…I can be the Grumpy Yogini. I wish I could say I’m always nice and happy, but I have always been a grump in the morning. It’s just my nature…maybe. I do notice a shift away from grumpy during and after meditation. My morning meditation helps me transition from foggy, sleepy, grumpy to less grumpy…and sometimes even to elated! Meditation is like cleaning off your camera lens before you take a picture, the lens of your mind’s eye, clearing and adjusting, shifting perspective.

Another lens for shifting perspective is the gratitude lens. Gratitude helps me find contentment in the abundance of now. Oprah got me started keeping a gratitude journal. I’ve been journaling off and on for years but had never  given my writing the specific focus of gratitude. My journal is a continuum of pain, hopes, fears, and dreamsall good processing, but I’m not sure I had ever focused on the essentials of life, the true abundance that I live in now Very slowly, I started awakening to the practice of gratitude. I know it sounds selfish to say I had to awaken to gratitude, but it’s the truth.

My basic needs in life have always been met: food, safety of shelter. I did lose my Dad, but I had a tremendous amount of love and support from family
and friends. I’m sure those who know me well would say I am spoiled rotten, and it’s true. My mother, dad and second dad, Bill have showered me with unconditional love and have given me opportunities and hand-me-downs way beyond a yoga teacher/musician’s income.

When most of our needs are met, maybe we become complacent. I had not really learned the practice of gratitude. I don’t think I’ve ever been ungrateful, but I’ve definitely been grumpy (and much worse) more often than I care to admit. With practice and time, my eyes began to zoom in to see all that is right here and now to be grateful for. When I am grateful, I shift away from the Grumpy Yogini and celebrate the abundance that I truly live in. I hope I’ve also gotten better at feeling and expressing gratitude.

Grumpy can be s-l-o-w to change. Repetition can serve to create new patterns, changes in our perspective, new neuropathways in our brains. Advertisements, politicians, political groups, propagandists and preachers have always used this repetition to sell us products, ideals, people, etc. Repeat, repeat, same songs, same commercials. If you never change the channel or clean the lens, you start believing what they tell or sell you. You start thinking you need a more luxurious car, more pills for just about anything that ails you, youth creams, youth potions, youth botulism (botox), that you have not enough hair, too much hair…geez! It’s never-ending. Yikes, did you feel the shift? Talking about commercials is making me grumpy and angry, as they tap into our fears.
I am grateful for indoor plumbing.
We can consciously shift this grumpiness, this perspective, back to grateful. We can create a new pattern of behavior and a life of enough, a life of gratitude. So when a negative thought or behavior arises, I hit my internal pause button and try to choose more consciously what I put into my head, especially my own self talk. Yoga uses mantras —“mind tools” or repeated  words or phrases — to harness thoughts and use the mind as a tool. So by repeating the affirmation “I am grateful” by itself or followed with something specific we are grateful for, we can reprogram our thoughts and shift out of one thought pattern and into whatever thought pattern we choose, because “I am strong.”

I am grateful for indoor plumbing.

Sometimes when we are sad, angry, or afraid, or we’ve been inundated with TV, social media, or ourselves telling us we don’t have enough and we are not enough, it’s hard to find something to be grateful for. That’s why I keep it simple and start with the essentials

Can you imagine a day without breathing? If you aren’t breathing, you are not here. Walk yourself through a day without clean water and then repeat, “I am grateful for clean water.” Take time to stop and acknowledge the essential things in life that we often take for granted. There are many people — children, older adults, veterans, our neighbors and friends — without clean air, water, food, and shelter in this world.

Remember, this is a practice, and it will take time and repetition. Take the time to say or write the words I am grateful  when you practice so this new impression of gratitude will start to fill up and smooth out the pathways of your mind!

Here’s my essential gratitude list:

I am grateful for the breath (inspiration, spirit) of God.
I am grateful for my health and the health of my family, friends, students, teachers, everyone!
I am grateful for the love and support of my best friend, my partner Allen, my family, friends, teachers, students, pets….and even of strangers.
I am grateful for safe water for drinking, cooking, washing, playing and more. Clean water is essential to life!
I am grateful for access to healthy food to nourish the cells in my body so I can feel my best. And I’m extra grateful when it is yummy food!
I am grateful for shelter and warm clothing/clean bedding, for comfort from the elements and a safe place to rest my head.
I am grateful I can see another’s fear and pain, and not take their hurtful comments/actions personally. (This one is always a work in progress….)
I am grateful for Ben and Jerry’s Chunky Monkey Ice Cream. It doesn’t have to be all good-for-you stuff, does it?
I am grateful for work that sparks my heartbeat and inspires me to get out of bed each day.

I dream of an abundance of fresh air, water, food, health, support, shelter, compassion, and even a little ice cream or favorite yummy for all beings.

The list is really endless: Can you find something, even one thing, on this list to be grateful for? Indoor plumbing and a clean bathroom, clean floors, sunshine, rain, coffee, beer, chocolate, music, brilliant leaves, warm breeze, the smile of a passerby, a kind word…there is something to be grateful for in every moment!

The intent is for our lives to become a moving, living meditation of gratitude, aware as we move through our days, interacting with others and ourselves from a place of gratitude.

Living in Gratitude.

This is the month of Thanksgiving, ya know.  What a great time to start to awaken to the practice of gratitude! Try it NOW!!!  Give it a whirl!

Get a notebook or gratitude journal today! Keep it simple: start by jotting down a few things, say, three,  that you are grateful for each day.  Do this for the next seven days.  Miss a day? So what…what are you grateful for now?

E-mail this blog to your friends or share on Facebook. Ask your friends what they are grateful for!  Let’s spread more gratitude now!

Ask your family to read three things they are grateful for at the dinner table on Thanksgiving day!

I have been amazed how this simple,  free practice can shift my not-so-positive thought patterns into workable, more positive, grateful thought patterns.  It is the beginning to shifting perspective on everything.

Start by asking yourself right now, in this moment, “What can I be grateful for?” and post at least one thing below.

I am grateful you took the time to read this.  Please share and spread gratitude this month and always!

Peace, Love and Gratitude,
Shan

32 Comments to The Grumpy Yogini.:

Comments RSS
Kate on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:46 PM
I am grateful for my friend Shannon...

Shan on Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:31 AM
I forgot to mention I get grumpy when I'm hungry huh Kate? I am very grateful for your friendship too. Hope to see you again soon.

Sondra Epperly on Saturday, November 15, 2014 11:59 PM
I'm grateful that you are my daughter. I'm grateful for every lesson that life has given me.

Dofollow Trust Flow Backlinks on Saturday, July 08, 2017 1:13 PM
Please read carefully: TRUST FLOW (MAJESTIC METRIC) IS THE MOST IMPORTANT METRIC FOR YOUR ONLINE BUSINESS! These links are Common BACKLINKS from HIGH TRUST FLOW PAGES. The value of this GIG is therefore in the research of the pages with HIGH TRUST FLOW. TO BE EFFECTIVE THE GIG SHOULD BE BOUGHT WITH THE EXTRA. (TF TILL 34) Dofollow Trust Flow Backlinks

shuzuka on Sunday, July 09, 2017 7:38 AM
What a fantastic blog this was to read for me what is the best resume writing service. The article was written superbly and I had a lot of fun reading it.

Questions on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:11 PM
So it is interesting and very good written and see what they think about other people.

Anna Romero on Sunday, August 20, 2017 1:58 PM
i wish you must use this new Freemake Video Converter Crack really you will feel amazing

linda on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 1:33 PM
any uppdates fulllifeyoga plz tell me

liza on Sunday, September 17, 2017 5:05 AM
any uppdate about shanyogakc. plz tell me

Marian G. Jones on Sunday, September 17, 2017 1:05 PM
any uppdate about .fulllifeyoga plz contact me

katty on Sunday, September 17, 2017 1:24 PM
any uppdate about fulllifeyoga plz tell me

Kathryn G. Costas on Sunday, September 17, 2017 1:51 PM
any uppdate about shanyogakc plz tell me

liza on Monday, September 18, 2017 12:36 PM
any uppdates about fulllifeyoga plz contact me

Brenda R. Lafountain on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:06 PM
any uppdate about fulllifeyoga plz contact me

visit website on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 6:01 AM
It was a very good post indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it in my lunch time. Will surely come and visit this blog more often. Thanks for sharing.

long zipper wallets for men on Friday, November 17, 2017 5:07 AM
Extremely pleasant article, I appreciated perusing your post, exceptionally decent share, I need to twit this to my adherents. Much appreciated!

lifestyle pr firms on Wednesday, November 22, 2017 12:23 PM
Thanks for the blog filled with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. Now my task has become as easy as.

aaliyamarrey on Sunday, November 26, 2017 1:39 PM
great for share important info. any updates about fulllifeyoga plz contact me

daisyangel on Sunday, November 26, 2017 1:39 PM
nice web.

Murcia on Sunday, December 03, 2017 2:19 AM
It is an extraordinary site.. The Design looks great.. Continue working like that!.

top florida pr firms on Saturday, December 30, 2017 8:15 AM
What a sensational blog! This blog is too much amazing in all aspects. Especially, it looks awesome and the content available on it is utmost qualitative.
Reply to comment

https://www.paperwritingpro.com/our-services/book-review/ on Friday, June 22, 2018 4:49 AM
Well!I know the importance of yoga & yoga teacher in particular.The use of internet can be ideal in hiring the professional yoga teacher.Good Job & Keep it up.

facebook on Monday, July 30, 2018 6:54 AM
There are a few fascinating points at some point in this article but I don’t know if I see them all center to heart. There may be some validity but I most certainly will take hold opinion until I consider it further. Great post , thanks and we want more! Added onto FeedBurner at the same time facebook

James Andrew on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 10:55 AM
Very Nice And Much Better Blog. Thanks For This Sharing. Macrium Reflect Download

Tahira Sultan on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 10:57 AM
Very Good & much Great. Thanks For Sharing. Window Movie Maker Free Download

Maria Shahid on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 11:00 AM
Very Nice Blog. Thanks For Sharing And Keep Up The Good Work. endnot Free download

Jenifer Gilliam on Thursday, August 02, 2018 7:48 PM
For a limited time we have lowered the rate on targeted website traffic. We have visitors from virtually every country on Earth. Each visitor is targeted by both country and keywords that you submit when you start your free trial period. If you need more visitors or product sales try our service free for seven days and we will send you 500 free visitors during the trial. There are no contracts and if you cancel during the trial period you will not be charged anything! Start your trial today: http://stpicks.com/2rusd Unsubscribe here: http://stpicks.com/2ruse

FCPX on Monday, August 06, 2018 3:07 AM
Document Article. Was’t whatever i ended up specifically hunting for however My husband and i did some searching Aol your posting showed up i really tested versus eachother and additionally wished to no less than thanks a ton. FCPX

http://www.poker18dewa.com on Thursday, August 16, 2018 6:52 AM
I am curious to find out what blog platform you are using? I’m having some small security problems with my latest website and I would like to find something more secure. Do you have any solutions? http://www.poker18dewa.com

Roseanne Sidney on Sunday, August 26, 2018 12:47 PM
For a limited time we have lowered the rate on targeted website traffic. We have visitors from virtually every country on Earth. Each visitor is targeted by both country and keywords that you submit when you start your free trial period. If you need more visitors or product sales try our service free for seven days and we will send you 500 free visitors during the trial. There are no contracts and if you cancel during the trial period you will not be charged anything! Start your trial today: http://duckshop.co/1f1p Unsubscribe here: http://stpicks.com/2ruse

Tanesha Karr on Friday, October 12, 2018 8:02 PM
For a limited time we have lowered the rate on targeted website traffic. We have visitors from virtually every country on Earth. Each visitor is targeted by both country and keywords that you submit when you start your free trial period. If you need more visitors or product sales try our service free for seven days and we will send you 500 free visitors during the trial. There are no contracts and if you cancel during the trial period you will not be charged anything! Start your trial today: https://twe.lv/d3 Unsubscribe here: https://twe.lv/gg

loegmrntdherid1 on Friday, November 16, 2018 9:49 PM
Thank you very much for taking your time to create this very informative site.I have learned a lot from your site.